Umodzi Diaspora Network is a portal for Malawian Diaspora initiated by Malawi Government in line with implementation of the Malawi Diaspora Engagement Policy which was approved in August, 2017. It is an avenue for harnessing the potential of Malawians in the Diaspora and incorporating them into Malawi’s development initiatives through among others:
- Sustainable networks and platforms for engagement;
- Increase awareness among Malawians in the Diaspora on the availability of consular services;
- Promotion of brain circulation, knowledge exchange and skills transfer;
- Promotion of Diaspora investment;
- Promotion and strengthening existing diaspora philanthropic initiatives; and
To coordinate the network, Malawi Government established the Diaspora Affairs Unit (DAU) in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation. The DAU also manages the overall Diaspora Engagement Programme.